POL. SC. 353: Theory and Practice of Marxism Past Questions
UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA
DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE
SECOND SEMESTER EXAMINATION 2014/2015 ACADEMY SESSION
COURSE: POL. SC. 353 – THEORY AND PRACTICE OF MARXISM.
TIME ALLOWED: 3HRS
DATE: 7th AUGUST, 2015
Instruction: Answer any four questions. All questions carry equal marks.
- Do an essay either for or against the claim that “Marxism is dead.”
- How would you justify our study of Marxism even as Marx did not write about Africa?
- Capitalist developments in the West tend to conform with the revisionist thesis of Eduard Bernstein. Do you agree? Discuss.
- Explain the tenets of the French Regulation School and demonstrate whether it connects with revisionist Marxism.
- Explain social classes and class struggle and use the ‘Agbekoya’ peasant revolt in Western Nigeria or any other revolutionary assertiveness of the peasantry to respond to Marx’s characterization of that social class as a ‘sack of potatoes’.
- a. How is surplus value produced according to Marx?
- Explain exploration and levels of alienation as expressed by Marx in the economic and philosophic Manuscripts of 184.
- Structural Marxism and Instrumental Marxism are major strands and influences on the Marxist theories of State. Discuss the main theses of these schools on the capitalist state.