UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA, NSUKKA
DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE
Political sc. 413 – Local Government in Nigeria
First semester examinations, 2013/2014
Monday, May 12, 2014
Time allowed; 3 hours
Instruction: Answer Question number 6 and any other three questions of your choice.
- The autonomy of local government in Nigeria is a myth rather than a reality. Discuss with concrete examples.
- Discuss the evolution of modern local government in Nigeria.
- Examine the term ‘Community Development’. Discuss the role of local government in community development in Nigeria.
- With relevant examples, identify and discuss the pathologies of local government administration in Nigeria.
- Examine the relationship between local government and other tiers of government in Nigeria
- As an expert in local government studies, write a position paper on how local government in Nigeria can be made result-oriented.
- Discuss the role of traditional rulers in the contemporary local government administration in Nigeria.
- As a guru in local government finance, suggest and briefly explain five (5) innovative ways local governments can be financially autonomous in Nigeria